Exploding iPhones claim two more victims…

In the USA a student was burnt by her iPhone when it started to overheat in her back pocket.

She sat down in her seat when she heard a pop, and the phone started to heat up. The student had to take off her pants when the phone started emitting smoke, causing minor burns.

It’s believed that the pressure of her sitting on the phone caused battery to short and malfunction. The fire department is reportedly investigating, but it’s an incident he’s never seen before.

Thankfully the student is alright, though it does highlight the issue of putting expensive phones in back pockets. Previous warnings have been issued about putting unnecessary pressure on smartphones and that it significantly raises the risk of a phone’s battery shorting and exploding.

The second incident took place in Czech Republic and involved an iPhone 3Gs. Two people report that although their iPhone 3GS didn’t explode, it ballooned up, causing the casings of their phones to split open. The battery inside each device expanded to more than twice its original size. Apple is reportedly investigating the incidents.

Have you experienced any incidents of smartphones behaving badly? Tell us your thoughts below.

Follow Us
on Google+
Sponsored

Review: Galaring G1 NFC Ring

NetGuide In 2013, a Kickstarter campaign to fund the first NFC ring was started by John McLear, a British inventor / entrepreneur. It was massively oversubscribed, with funding reaching 8X the amount asked for.   Read More →

Review: Pebble Smartwatch

NetGuide The Pebble Smartwatch was originally created from a Kickstarter campaign. It’s just released the Pebble Steel with orders outstripping supply. Is wearable technology really where it’s all going?   Read More →