Update: Entry level Android coming to NZSeptember 6 - 11am 10
Huawei has announced the launch of IDEOS, which it describes as an affordable smartphone that runs on the Android 2.2 operating system.
IDEOS will launch across Europe, North America and Latin America, though Huawei says it’s “currently in talks with Australian and New Zealand operators about local distribution”.
Key features include:
- Android 2.2 Froyo Operating System, with access to Android’s library of 80,000+ apps
- Embedded 3G to Wi-Fi modem/router – share your 3G connection with up to 8 devices at once
- Dual 7.2Mbps 3G and Wi-Fi 802.11n connectivity
- Google Maps Navigation with in-built A-GPS, Google Voice Search (not available in NZ)
- 2.8” QVGA (320×240) TFT Capacitive Touch screen, plus 5 way navigation pad
- 3.2-megapixel camera with dual-LED flash
- Smart sensors – ambient light sensor automatically adjusts screen brightness for longer battery life, accelerometer to automatically adjust screen layout, proximity sensor and compass
- Supports SD cards of up to 16GB – 32GB
- MicroUSB port
Update: 2degrees has picked up the device for launch in New Zealand on November 1st for $379.