Microsoft making up to five million Surface tabletsOctober 17 - 9am 1045
Microsoft will build between 3-5 million Surface tablets during the fourth quarter, ahead of its October 26 launch.
The software giant is planning to begin a “large volume production” of its first tablet product according to component supplier sources in Asia.
After CEO Steve Ballmer suggested the company may shift “a few million” over the next year, Microsoft look set to produce ” a little more than 3 million Surface tablets” during the Christmas run-up with significant demand rumoured to be already underway.
The speculation follows pricing, market availability and special limited quantity pre-order information released by Microsoft, “designed to be the ultimate stage for Windows.”
“Surface delivers the power of amazing software and the feel of premium hardware in one exciting experience,” Microsoft says.
Originally unveiled in June, Surface with Windows RT will initially be available in three SKUs: a 32GB version priced at US$499, a 32GB version bundled with a black Touch Cover priced at US$599, and a 64GB version bundled with a black Touch Cover priced at US$699.
Additional Product Information:
• Software – Surface with Windows RT comes with Microsoft Office Home and Student 2013 RT Preview (2) (which includes Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel and OneNote)
• Exterior – 10.81 x 6.77 x 0.37 inches, 1.5 pounds, VaporMg casing, dark titanium color, volume and power buttons
• Storage – 32 GB (3); 64 GB
• CPU – NVIDIA T30, 2 GB of RAM
• Wireless – Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n), Bluetooth 4.0 technology
• Cameras – Two 720p HD cameras, front- and rear-facing
• Audio – Two microphones, stereo speakers
• Ports – Full-size USB 2.0, microSDXC card slot, headset jack, HD video out port, cover port
• Sensors – Ambient light sensor, accelerometer, gyroscope, compass
• Power Supply – 24W power supply
• Warranty – One-year limited hardware warranty
• Apps (included) – Microsoft Office Home and Student 2013 RT Preview (2) (Word, PowerPoint, Excel and OneNote), Windows Mail and Windows Messaging, SkyDrive, Windows Internet Explorer 10, Bing, Xbox Music, Xbox Video, and Xbox Games
Those interested in learning more or pre-ordering can click here